THE FAIRMINED STANDARD FOR GOLD
FROM ARTISANAL AND SMALL-SCALE MINING, INCLUDING ASSOCIATED PRECIOUS METALS
DOWNLOAD THE FAIRMINED STANDARD
A little bit of HISTORy
Between 2006 and 2008, we spearheaded a collaborative effort in Latin America to establish a shared vision and guiding principles for responsible artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM). These principles serve as the cornerstone for the development of Standard Zero, the inaugural standard for responsibly sourced gold and related metals, including silver and platinum. Building upon the Zero Standard, the initial iteration of the Fairmined Standard was crafted in partnership with Fairtrade in 2009. This colaboration came to an end on 2013.
In April 2014, following a transparent review process with open forums involving a wide range of stakeholders, including the entire supply chain, Version 2.0 of the Fairmined Standard was launched. The Fairmined Standard is a global leader in its ability to generate positive impact on miners and their communities, serving as a valuable tool for transforming artisanal and small-scale mining into a proactive force for good.
We have developed the Fairmined Standard for Gold and Associated Precious Metals to support the sustainable development of artisanal and small-scale mining communities.
The standard includes requirements for artisanal and small-scale mining organizations to conduct responsible mining operations, such as formal and legal mining practices, environmental protection, labor conditions, traceability of Fairmined minerals, and socioeconomic development through the Fairmined Premium. It also outlines market models and requirements for market actors (Fairmined suppliers).
FAIRMINED GOLD AND FAIRMINED ECOLOGICAL GOLD
• Environmental friendly • Responsible use of toxic chemicals • Gradual reduction in the use of toxic chemicals • Fairmined Premium: USD 4,000 per kg
FAIRMINED ECOLOGICAL GOLD
• Ecological • No use of toxic chemicals • Rehabilitation of native ecosystems. For example, forest restoration in highly biodiverse areas • Additional requirements to minimize ecological disturbance • Organic Premium: 6,000 USD (regular premium + 2,000 USD per kg)
THE FAIRMINED STANDARD
• Fairmined Standard for Gold from Artisanal and Small-scale Mining, including associated precious metals (V2.0 ARM / 5 April 2014)
The structure of Fairmined Standard v2.0:
- • The Fairmined Standard (scope: Mining organizations and first authorized Fairmined buyer)
- • Fairmined Market Annex (scope: Fairmined Suppliers and Licensees)
- Glossary of terms.
- • Mechanism for pilot testing of fairmined standard 2.0 amendments
- • Pilot amendment project for fairmined incorporated’s segregated refining criteria
- • Pilot amendment project for the composition rules of fairmined labeled products
- • The Fairmined Development Fee Explanatory Document
- • Consultation Results Synopsis
- • Fairmined Premium Explanatory document
- • Fairmined Premium Discount Table Explanatory
- • Pilot project for pre-certification conditions
- • Pilot project for conditional permission for trading
- • Update Pilot amendment project for new •Fairmined labeled products
- • Pilot amendment project for the implementation of the “Fairmined credits”
FAIRMINED GOLD STANDARD - PREVIOUS VERSIONS
- Standard for Gold from Artisanal and Small-scale Mining, including associated precious metals (V2.0 RC ARM / 1st January 2014 EN)
- Fairmined standard for gold from artisanal and small-scale mining, including associated precious metals (V1.1 ARM 1st May 2013 superseded by the new version 2.0).